Cat Gets a Can of Whiskas Stuck on his Head


Cat Gets a Can of Whiskas Stuck on his Head

Mischievous moggy Felix, from Bedworth, is recovering at home after surgery to remove a cat food can from his head.

The former stray, believed to be around five months old, got himself into a tight spot when scavenging the recycling bins in a neighbour’s garden.

Felix’s owner, Sam Wellbank (34), discovered the moggy’s mishap when she called him in for his breakfast: “He spends lots of time outside but never wanders far. I heard a clatter as Felix jumped over the fence into the garden and when I looked outside, he was sat on the grass with the food can stuck fast on his head.

“We picked him up but he was very stressed and trying to claw us. He was meowing loudly and was obviously in a lot of discomfort. I drove him straight to PDSA for some urgent help.”

Staff at PDSA’s Pet Hospital on Barkers Butts Lane in Coventry rushed Felix straight into surgery to remove the can.

Vet Nurse Debbie Evans, who admitted Felix, explains: “Poor Felix was seriously stressed and we were concerned that he had injured himself on the sharp lip of the can in trying to free himself. There was also a worry that he would suffocate so we needed to act quickly.”

Vets gave Felix a general aesthetic and removed the offending food tin.

Debbie continued: “Felix had cut his ear on the can, which was bleeding quite a lot. Once we had cleaned the wound, we kept Felix in for a few hours to keep an eye on him. His temperature was on the high side, probably due to the stress of his ordeal.”

Following Felix’s experience, PDSA vets are encouraging recyclers to think about the perils of pets foraging through their cans and glass.

Debbie said: “The sharp edges on tins and glass cause obvious risks to pets and wildlife, so we’d recommend keeping recycling covered or enclosed, if at all possible. It you have to keep your recycling boxes outside, make sure that all food containers are rinsed thoroughly to remove any tempting smells and flatten tin cans to stop mischievous pets from getting stuck, like Felix did here.”

Owner Sam concludes: “Felix adopted us and the kids absolutely adore him. I can’t thank PDSA enough for all their help – they were great with Felix and with us too as we were all pretty worked up and worried!”

PDSA is on a mission to educate the nation on pet wellbeing and thanks to funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery, is helping the charity to continue this vital work.

PDSA is the UK’s leading veterinary charity. With 51 Pet Hospitals across the UK, the charity administered 2.7 million treatments to 470,000 pets last year. For more information, visit,


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here